About Author

Education became my second career, after working in the corporate world for 13 years.  I graduated from California State University – Stanislaus with a BA in Economics.  During the recession, I was laid off and decided to return to school to obtain my teaching credential.  After two years of substituting, I was hired to teach sixth grade in a California community of 35,000.  I hold high standards for my students, and was recognized as Teacher of the Year for our district in 2011.  After several years, I was asked to move to fourth grade and helped to create a strong team that raised the bar for our school.  For the past three years, I have taught fifth grade, which I absolutely love.  Our team worked to create a new concept for our school, with the implementation of Common Core, having our students rotate between the three classes.  The program has been very successful, as it allows each of us to concentrate on learning the standards of our strengths, and gives students the chance to excel at a faster pace.  Our students test scores continue to be among the highest in the district, which is the result of the strong bond we have developed as a team as we collaborate.

I focus on teaching writing, which is the key to students being successful at mastering Common Core.  Students must first be able to convey their ideas, and properly cite where they formed their opinions from.  While I love to teach writing, the subject I enjoy the most is American History.  I teach my students the importance of learning from the mistakes of past civilizations.  Incorporating history into a reading and writing program is the way I have been able to help my students excel, and teach a subject that for some has been put on the wayside while focusing on reading and math.

I have always embraced technology in my classroom.  While I have used it constantly, I have mostly used it to ease my job duties.  Lately however, I have begun to shift my focus to using it within my lessons, so that my students can learn and benefit from the great possibilities offered with techs use.  I help my school site peers try to learn to be comfortable integrating technology into their classrooms. As a lifelong learner, I have recently started a course of studies with Walden University to obtain a graduate certificate in Integrating Technology , in the Classroom.  It is my hope as I begin this blog, that you will find my posts inspiring and helpful in your own professional development, but also that your students will benefit from what you learn.  We all need to demonstrate and model for our students what becoming a lifelong learner means.  It is then that we will have formed the leaders of the future.