Defining My Personal Theory of Learning

When reflecting on my own ideas regarding how students learn, I believe that it stems from a blend of some of the leading theorists throughout history.  This belief explains how I approach lessons within the classroom, and is claimed to be, “Or perhaps you believe that all of these perspectives together describe the range of possible explanations of how learning occurs. If that is the case, as an eclectic instructor, you will choose to implement those parts of the theories that best match the teaching and learning needs of the moment.” (Lever and McDonald, p29, 2015) Over the years, I have worked to understand how I can better engage students and increase their learning.  Therefore, I have a variety of examples that support my blended theory.

Jean Piaget formulated the Developmental Theory, which stated that key developmental stages may affect learning.  Having taught several grade levels throughout my career, I have witnessed the need to change how you teach to reach the different levels of development that students bring to your classroom.  Lev Vygotsky, a social learning theorist, recognized the desire of students to bond within a community.  In the past several years, not only have I worked in small tutoring groups, but also, rearranged my classroom to incorporate cooperative learning, where students bond with each other and communicate together to improve learning.  This past week in class, I was discussing with my class how they must utilize the models that are provided for student success, which is a social learning theory that Albert Bandura developed.  He believed that the prediction of the outcome was directly tied to the motivation given through the modeling process.  While I utilize other ideas, the most interesting that I have been moving towards, of late, is the thoughts by Howard Gardner on Multiple-Intelligences.  Originally having identified eight innate capabilities, then adding an additional one, with another under study, he felt that every child used a dominate capability or combinations to learn.  These ideas included; linguistic, spatial, bodily-kinesthetic, logical-mathematical, musical, interpersonal, intrapersonal, naturalistic, and existential.  I have been striving to incorporate multiple strategies within lessons, to use various capabilities that reach more students.  While some of these ideas were taught during my program of studies for my credential, it wasn’t until, I had worked and tested my own ideas within the class setting, that I have come to develop my thoughts of learning.  The ideas presented by Lever and McDonald, not only reminded me of that training, but have helped me better understand how my teaching style has evolved. (Lever and McDonald, p28, 2015)

Over the two classes that I have worked on here at Walden University, my understanding of the importance of transforming my teaching practices and integrating technology to new levels has grown.  Having studied carefully the California Common Core Standards, it is clear that technology can play an important role in developing the critical thinking of students.  Through research and creative uses of technology to demonstrate learning, students can broaden those skills with challenging lessons that teachers create.  Ben Johnson, administrator, educator and author, in his blog post, “Great Teachers Don’t Teach,” states:

“Returning to my original premise: great teachers do not teach. They stack the deck so that students have a reason to learn and in the process can’t help but learn mainly by teaching themselves. This knowledge then becomes permanent and cherished rather than illusory and irrelevant.” (Johnson, 2013)

This is the path that I chose to begin last year, as I revamped my teaching style and began this course of studies.  As I move forward, it is my desire to become the “learning engineer,” as Ben Johnson retitled the role of the teacher.  To accomplish this goal, it will require that I am willing to look to others for help in developing the lessons and strategies that have proven effective in other classrooms.

Currently in my own classroom, I incorporate small project-based learning goals that require students to research, collaborate, and create various methods of delivery of learning that has taken place.  This year, I am integrating more options for students to use technology to demonstrate their learning.  In Writing, I will be introducing students to Blogging to give them real-world experiences to demonstrate and improve their writing abilities.  I am hoping that their blogs will be visited by other students, and that an interaction will begin to occur that will inspire my class to work hard to improve their writing skills.  In Science, I have created a Wiki page for students to create projects that demonstrate their understanding of the ten basic topics they are responsible to learn.  They have chosen the topic they wish to research first, and will now begin to learn about the standards I have outlined for them.  My overall goal for the future is to continue to work towards helping my students find a love of learning that translates into a deeper understanding and mastery of the standards they must know, but also to prepare them for their future lives.

As I work to accomplish this goal for myself, I will be working to uphold the Mission and Vision of Walden University.  Through the transformation from teacher to facilitator, I will be making the social changes in both a scholarly and applied sense.  Students in my classes will, “apply new skills, expand their networks, gain deeper knowledge, and consider a variety of perspectives in order to better address practical problems,” (Social Change, n.d-b, Walden University) they may face in school, and the world they live in.  The efforts that I make will help to change the lives of my students for the better to help them secure a successful future.  As I continue to allow my students greater freedom of their own learning, the guidance in the direction they will take will be guided by the ISTE Standards.  Students will develop skills that cross all six of the standards, 1) Creativity and innovation, 2) Communication and collaboration, 3) Research and information fluency, 4) Critical thinking, problem solving, and decision making, 5) Digital citizenship, and 6) Technology operations and concepts.  (ISTE, 2016) As the “learning engineer,” I will also work to follow the three teacher ISTE standards that deal with students, 1) Facilitate and inspire student learning and creativity, 2) Design and develop digital age learning experiences and assessments, and 3) Model digital age work and learning. (ISTE, 2008)  The final two standards for teachers will be met through my efforts as our site technology coach.  With everything I have learned and experienced in the transformation I began last year, I know that my students will benefit immensely.  While the Journal on Excellence in College Teaching, focused mainly on college students, this type of brain-based learning I am shifting to have benefits as they conclude.

“The combination of information from brain research, the brain-based literature, and our experience implementing brain-based strategies in our courses, and the student evaluation data makes for an argument that teaching with the ‘brain’ in mind is a win-win situation and may increase the academic performance, sharpen the thought processes, and improve the attitudes toward learning of college students.” (Freeman and Wash, p116, 2013)

In my experience in the first year of my shift, students excelled as a result of their engagement.  As I move forward, I will continue to work to make positive social changes with both my students and my colleagues.

References

Lever-Duffy, J., & McDonald, J. (2015). Teaching and learning with technology, Enhanced Pearson eText (5th ed.). Boston, MA: Pearson Education.

Johnson, B. (2013, June 28). Great Teachers Don’t Teach. Retrieved September 03, 2016, from http://www.edutopia.org/blog/great-teachers-do-not-teach-ben-johnson

Walden University. (n.d.-b). Social change. Retrieved September 01, 2016, from https://www.waldenu.edu/about/social-change

Walden University. (n.d.-a). Mission and vision. Retrieved September 01, 2016, from https://www.waldenu.edu/about/social-change/mission-and-vision

International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE). (2016). Standards for students. Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/standards/standards/for-students-2016

International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE). (2008). Standards for teachers. Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/standards/iste-standards/standards-for-teachers

Freeman, G. G., & Wash, P. D. (2013). You can lead students to the classroom, and you can make them think: Ten brain-based strategies for college teaching and learning success. Journal on Excellence in College Teaching, 24(3), 99–120. Retrieved from the Walden Library databases.